MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (M.B.A.) in Retail Management
Retail management is a sub-discipline of the general field of management that deals with overseeing the distribution and selling of products directly to consumers, in specific vending points such as shops, chain stores, markets and malls. Retail managers are in charge of everyday operations within a retail store or department. They plan how merchandise is promoted, organize employees, handle customer service, and supervise inventories. Retail managers also have to understand client profiles and empathize with their needs in order to adjust product supply and to anticipate demand, in order to increase profits. Retail management is closely related to others disciplines ranging from business and international business, marketing and logistics, to supply chain management, operations management, fashion merchandising and others. In this MBA in Retail Management programme, students will learn management models and practices, in addition to relevant marketing strategies. They will also acquire leadership, communication and decision-making skills. Graduates in the filed can work as managers of hotels, catering, food and beverages companies, travel agencies, and franchise chains among many others. Examples of professional positions include purchasing manager, logistics and distribution manager, personnel manager, merchandise planner, store director or division merchandising manager.
- MGT510: Managerial Accounting
- MGT520: Managing Business Strategy
- MGT530: Human Capital Management
- MGT540: Marketing Management
- MGT550: Managing Operations
- MGT560: Leading Organization
- MGT570: Financial Management
- MGT580: Project Management
- Recognized Bachelor Degree in any field
- Sufficient English language proficiency (IELTS 6.0 or its equivalent)
- At least 3 years of working experience in the managerial position
Action research paper
This requirement of the MBA programme will enable the student to prepare a research paper that applies managerial concepts and research techniques to a significant organizational issue or problem, within the context of his/her chosen specialization area. After completing the action research the student should be able to:
- Select, evaluate and apply critical management thinking to an organizational issue or problem.
- Critically evaluate the techniques and processes used to investigate an important organizational issue or problem.
- Synthesize information to arrive at a coherent conclusion.
- Critically evaluate the implications for the recommendations presented.
- Critically reflect on his or her development of knowledge, skills and techniques used during the preparation of the action research paper.
- To enable the advanced study of organizations, their management and the changing external context in which they operate.
- Equip individuals for and/or development of a career in business and management by developing skills at a professional or equivalent level to assume senior managerial and leadership positions in business.
- Development of the ability to apply knowledge and understanding of business and management to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, to improve business and management leadership and practice.
- Enhancement of lifelong learning and personal development so as to be able to work with self-direction and originality and to contribute to business and society at large.
Personalized, easy to understand text-based (reading materials) interactive resources that progressively and systematically takes the learner through various areas of competencies required at the workplace, in a specialized field of study
Assessment of learning
Personalized exercises, assignments and/or quizzes are utilized throughout the course/programme to measure progress in learning. Such comprehensive assessment procedure is characterized by being diagnostic, formative (intervention-oriented), and summative
100% completion of courses and assessment therein is required to be able to get certified in the said course and/or programme
The grading system is defined as follows:
Higher Distinction: 90-100%
Distinction : 80-89%
First Division : 70-79%
Second Division : 60-69%
Satisfactory : 50-59%
Unsatisfactory : 49 % and below
Course duration 12 months