Diploma in Criminology and Forensic Psychology
The Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology is to equip learners with a basic understanding of various fields of Criminology (the scientific study of crime) and Forensic Psychology from a historical, contemporary and progressive perspective. In addition, fundamental psychological concepts will be considered, including personality disorders, mental disorder and crime, alongside social & environmental theories of crime and familial correlates of crime – to name but four. At the end of the course, learners will have a detailed understanding of the psychology and nature of criminal conduct.
Module 1 – Introduction: nature or nurture? Measuring crime – separating fact from fiction.
- The social scientific study of criminology
- The psychology of criminal behaviour
- Interface between two disciplines – the “nature” v “nurture” debate
Module 2 – Social, Family & Environmental Theories of Crime – if only my parents cared.
- Theoretical explanations of social correlates of crime
- Environmental and situational criminology
- Interface between social/environmental correlates & psycho-variables
Module 3 – Biological traits, personal attributes and the mentally disordered mind.
- The “Dark Triad” of Personality Disorders and Crime
- Mental disorders and crime
- Interface between mental health issues/disorders and external factors
Module 4 – Psychopathy 1 – The Hare Test & the criminal psychopath
Module 5 – Psychopathy 2 – The psychopaths among us; bad men in good jobs.
Module 6 – Serial Killers – strangers in the night?
Module 7 – Aggression, violence and stalking.
Module 8 – Sexual Deviation & Sex Offenders – inside the mind of the sex abuser.
Module 9 – Prison hierarchy and sociology – the inmate code.
- Crime, family and delinquency – the risk factors
- Biological and genetic factors in criminal behaviour
- Interface between bio-familial correlates & forensic psycho-variables
Module 10 – Offender Profiling & Police Interrogation Techniques.
Mode of delivery of the proposed programme
Applicants should fill out a detailed Application form and send it back via email to the undersigned.
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT
The Academics Manager
Capacity Africa Training Institute